Monica Matthieu, Ph.D., M.S.W., LCSW
Associate Professor; Social Work
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Emmet J. and Mary Martha Doerr Center for Social Justice Education and Research
Social Work Direct Practice (foundation and concentration) classes; Trauma Treatment; Veterans Services
- Ph.D., Social Work, Columbia University
- M.S.W., Tulane University
- B.A., Social Work, Northwestern State University-Natchitoches, LA
Access to and quality of mental health services for veterans, military service members,
and their families; public health and clinical approaches to suicide prevention; evidence-based
treatments for trauma; military social work/veterans services; disaster mental health;
social work training and education, particularly in the Department of Veterans Affairs
(VA); VA Mental Health Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) and implementation
science research methods.
Publications and Media Placements
- Rosen, C. S., Matthieu, M.M., Cook, J.M., Wiltsey Stirman, S., Bernardy, N.C., Chard,
K.M., Crowley, J., Eftekhari, A., Finley, E.P., Hamblen, J.L., Kehle-Forbes, S.M.,
Landes, S.J., Meis, L.A., Mott, J.M., Rodriguez, A.L., Ruggiero, K.J., Ruzek, J.I.,
Smith, B.N., Trent, L.R., & Watts, B.V. (2106). A review of studies on the system-wide
implementation of evidence-based psychotherapies for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
in the Veterans Health Administration. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 43(6), 957-977. Doi:10.1007/s10488-016-0755-01.
- Waltz, T.J., Powell, B.J., Matthieu, M.M., Damschroder, L.J., Chinman, M.J., Smith,
J.L., Proctor, E.K., & Kirchner, J.E. (2015). Use of concept mapping to characterize relationships among implementation strategies
and assess their feasibility and importance: Results from the Expert Recommendations for Implementing Change (ERIC) study. Implementation Science. 10, 109. DOI: 10.1186/s13012-015-0295-0.
- Matthieu, M.M., Gardiner, G., Ziegemeier, E., *Buxton, M., Han, L. & Cross, W. (2014). Veterans’ mental health: Personal and professional knowledge of and experience with suicide and suicide prevention among Veteran stakeholders in community and clinical practice. Social Work and Mental Health, 12, 1–14, DOI: 10.1080/15332985.2014.884517.
Find Monica Matthieu on ResearchGate
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Central Arkansas VA Healthcare System, research social worker
Community Work and Service
Matthieu's community service, mentoring and teaching focus on improving the access
to and the quality of mental health services for veterans, their families and their
Prior to joining the faculty, she worked for five years as a clinical social worker and trauma therapist at the Department of Veterans Affairs, Readjustment Counseling Services' New Orleans Vet Center.